I've told you about my favourite winter skincare products, and now it's time to talk about winter makeup. As any girl who lives in a northern climate well knows, your makeup needs change when dealing with super-dry skin and temps so cold that you tear up as soon as you walk outside. The last thing you want is a flaky skin-accentuating foundation or an eyeliner or mascara that runs.
Today, I've gone into my own personal stash to show you the most moisturizing, stay-put products that see me through a Canadian winter. Have you tried any of these?
For the face
1. NARS Creamy Concealer: I love this creamy, smooth, high-pigment concealer with hydration benefits for around my nose and eyes in the winter (every extra bit of moisture helps). It's especially perfect if you tend to get any crepey-looking dry skin under the eyes. My shade is Vanilla.
2. RMS Beauty Un Cover-Up: This all-natural concealer—a cult classic in natural beauty circles—also doubles as a foundation if you sheer it out with a foundation brush. Made with coconut oil, castor seed oil, beeswax, cocoa seed butter, jojoba oil and vitamin E, it's so moisturizing that you very likely will not need a separate moisturizer underneath. I wear the shade 11.
3. Nip + Fab CC Cream SPF 30: I did an in-depth review of this well-priced CC cream, which comes in Light and Dark and gives medium coverage with 24-hour hydration. (Not that you're gonna leave it on for 24 hours, but still.) Another, even more moisturizing CC with good coverage is the Almay Smart Shade CC Cream Complexion Corrector that I reviewed last year.
4. L'Oréal Paris RevitaLift Moisture Blur Instant Skin Smoother: You know how pore- and line-minimizing products are all the rage right now? This one does the same thing, but without as much of a silicone feel (which was the main thing holding me back from its predecessors). It's made specifically for drier skin types and has a 24-hour moisture claim; you can apply it over or under makeup.
5. Make Up For Ever Face & Body Liquid Make Up: If you've been reading this blog for a while, you know that I swear by Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation in Ivory 115, which has been a holy grail product for me for a few years now. I recently discovered my equivalent shade in their Face & Body is just as good—just a little more moisturizing for wintertime. It's a light, water-based gel that you can build up in layers while still looking very natural.
6. Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer: I much prefer this hydrating version of Smashbox's popular face primer (which never seemed to do much for me—am I the only one?). This is a cooling gel that adds a nice layer of hydration before your skin makeup, and helps it go on smoother while filling in fine lines and pores.
For the cheeks
1. RMS Beauty Lip2Cheek: Another fave from RMS is this tinted cheek and lip balm (also made from moisturizing coconut oil, castor seed oil, etc.). My colour pick is Smile, a sheer coral/pink.
2. Revolution Organics Freedom Glow Beauty Balm: This natural cream blush is similar to the RMS one, except it comes in a stick format and the colour I wear, Blushed, is the ultimate fuchsia. It blends well and doesn't dry out.
3. Josie Maran Argan Color Stick: I have the mini size of this stick blush in Spice, which is a great neutral, goes-with-anything colour. It's moisturizing without being oily—even though it contains a bunch of oils, including argan.
4. Korres Cheek Butter: This shea butter-based blush, which I have in Philia Rose, is the moisturizing of all. No wonder they call it a cheek butter. I find it longer-lasting than the RMS.
For the eyes
1. Stila Smudge Crayon Waterproof Eye Primer + Shadow + Liner: I use this eyeshadow in a stick with a built-in primer (in the shade Kitten) year-round as a neutral colour across my lids. It's waterproof, so it's not going to move, even in a snowstorm.
2. Shu Uemura Tokyo Lash Mascara: This mascara takes a bit of attention in the application to make sure you don't get any clumps, but the payoff is long, thick, extra-black lashes—that will not budge because it's a tubular formula. (Whenever I try one without realizing that, I think my eyelashes are falling out in the sink... but it's all good.)
3. Chanel Illusion d'Ombre Long Wear Luminous Eyeshadow: Another long-wearing shadow option are these glittery pots from Chanel. They're easy to apply with your fingers and the gel texture doesn't crease. Currently I'm wearing the shade Initiation.
4. Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow: The third shadow I turn to in the winter months is this one, a cream that is also in a pot and wears well without smudging or creasing. I prefer the shade Bikini-Tini. The finish on these is more shiny.
5. Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer: I probably should have photographed this with the skin makeup; this is a primer formulated specifically for the under-eye area that also claims to reduce the look of puffiness and dark circles. I don't know about the latter, but I find it prevents my concealer from creasing up and makes the area look more smooth and moisturized.
6. Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes: I try not to wear eyeliner when it's super-cold out, but if you must, this waterproof pencil will withstand the weather as much as you can hope for.
For the lips
1. Korres Lip Butter: I'd been wearing this tinted lip balm in Pomegranate (sheer coral) for years until I discovered Mango (sheer peach) a few months ago. It's love. The scent is SO amazing and it gives you the perfect hint of colour.
2. Rodial Glamstick Tinted Lip Butter SPF 15: These tinted balms just came out this month, and you'll LOVE the shade Psycho if you want the pigment of the lipstick with the feel of a great lip balm. Splurgey but worth it.
3. Carmex Moisture Plus Lip Balm: This is a good cheapie option if you like the look of a soft, clear gloss (with more moisture than a gloss could ever provide). It has a vanilla scent, a subtle tingle and for a limited time, you can find it at select drugstores in leopard print!
4. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15: You know how I love these. They are fantastically moisturizing with a lemon-sugar scent, and you can't go wrong in any of the sheer colours. Besides Cherry, I'm wearing Rosé lately.
5. Almay Color + Care Liquid Lip Balm: This lippie is a little more sheer on the colour front, but has a very unique texture—it's a super-soft, non-sticky gloss that really coats and protects your lips. Comes in a whole bunch of colours besides this one (Apple a Day).
6. Maybelline New York Baby Lips Electro Lip Balm: Can't forget good old Baby Lips, can we? Pink Shock is a great shade if you don't want to sacrifice on colour in the winter. I find it decently moisturizing with a glossy finish.
7. Blistex Lip Vibrance: This was a surprise find for me this winter. It's got the moisture of Blistex, but with a pretty tint and slight shimmer—sweet! The fruity scent totally reminds me of high school, except I wish this existed back then. I love that you also get a mirror on the cap to check your application.
Shop the products
Have your say
Have you checked out any of these products?
What are your winter makeup favourites?
What's your number one makeup challenge in cold weather?