Now, you might not think they could be your thing, but hold up. The way Leighton wore hers—at the LA premiere of 'The Judge'—is the most wearable edition yet.
I'd call the lipstick a caramel brown, and thanks to its slightly reddish tones, it's gonna be more flattering (and less corpse-like) than the muddy, greyish hues we've been seeing elsewhere. The effect is soft and pretty instead of harsh or overly trendy.
Here's the head to toe:
She's looking super-chic in a black and white Balmain mini-dress—and her warm Sombré hair colour really pops against it. (I think another reason her lipstick works well is because it's picking up on the tones already in her hair.)
Here's the close-up, featuring natural brows and lashes, subtle plummy blush and of course, the caramel lips (and lids).
Brown-eyed brunettes and redheads with warm skin tones—this look would be awesome on you! (On blondes or cool complexions, the brown will be more of a statement... still doable, just not quite as harmonious.)
Even though this is a VERY of-the-moment makeup look, it still comes across as sophisticated. And not nearly as predictable as, say, a nude or a bright lipstick.
Would you consider brown? If so, here's the step-by-step for Leighton's look, created by makeup artist Kayleen McAdams—including the exact lipstick shade she's wearing.
How To Get Leighton Meester's Brown Lipstick Look
1. Apply a light layer of CK One Color 3-in-1 Face Makeup SPF 8in 200 Fair.
2. Apply CK One Color Skin Illuminator in 100 Cool on the tops of the cheeks, the bridge of the nose and the cupid’s bow.
3. Use a small amount of CK One Color 3-in-1 Concealer in 2 Light Medium to even out the skin tone.
4. Lightly dust the cheeks with Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Mood Exposure.
5. Apply CK One Color Eyeshadow Base in 710 Prim all over the lids and along the bottom lash line.
6. Follow with a very narrow black line along the roots of the lashes, using CK One Color Eyeliner Marker in 800 The Drama.
7. Apply a thick coat of CK One Color Volumizing Mascarain 800 Black to the top and bottom lashes.
8. Apply CKOne Color Pure Color Lipstickin 810 Smooch to the lips. Blot twice, and then run a Q-Tip around the edges to soften the look.
Here's the final effect:
Unexpected, but I think it's oh so lovely. Do you agree?
Shop the Story
Have Your Say
What do you think of Leighton's look? Would you wear this brown lipstick?