When I first saw this pic of Emily Blunt at this week's 'Into the Woods' premiere, I was like, "Cool, a red lip."
Cool story bro. It's pretty, but I've done it a thousand times already. Not that blog-worthy.
Except I should have known Emily would do her own little twist. After all, a quick Google turns up an actually surprising array of creative beauty looks in her repertoire. And the last time we saw her on this website was when she did this hot pink eyeshadow masterpiece last year... still one of my favourite makeup looks EVER.
So can you spot what she did a little differently here?
Okay, of course you can, since I already alerted you in the headline and all. But look closely at her lips! They're not just regular two-toned Ombré, I tell you. They are three-toned.
Makeup artist Jenn Streicher was the creative mind behind it. "I was really into the Ombré lip look—I think it’s really fun, and looks great on the red carpet," she says. "I layered a couple of different lip colours, added a pop of colour in the middle, and used dark liner on the outside. If you're doing this as an everyday look, the only thing I would change is to take the lip down a bit, as it's a little intense. However, I think it would be perfect for a holiday party or festive occasion!"
Here's the extreme close-up. What say you?
I think I'm into it. The brighter/lighter colour and the glossy finish in the centre make this dark lip much more wearable and fun (instead of all strong-seksi-vampy times). And the layering of different shades adds such an interesting textural element to her face.
I just know if it were me, I'd have talked/smeared/eaten this off in under an hour, so I'm not sure I'd actually make this kind of effort. But if YOU are game, I have the details!
(Before we get into them, my quick thoughts on the rest of the makeup are... I wish she didn't do the false lashes, as they seem too heavy, and the blush is too low on her cheeks, dragging her face down. Right? Plus there is a little patchiness on her nose, but hey, it happens.)
How To Get Emily Blunt's Ombré Lipstick Look
2. Perfect the complexion with Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 in Natural (blended with a damp Beautyblender) and apply Laura Mercier Secret Concealer in 1.5 to hide any darkness or imperfections. Create a flush on the cheeks with Laura Mercier creme Cheek Colour in Rosebud, and then set the skin with Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder.
3. Sweep Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Rose Gold over the lids, and then blend the same product in Amethyst into the lash lines. Draw a flick along the lash lines using Laura Mercier creme Eye Liner in Noir, and then finish the eyes with several coats of black mascara.
4. Apply Laura Mercier creme Smooth Lip Colour in Plumberry all over the lips as a base.
5. Darken the edges using Laura Mercier Lip Pencil in Ruby.
6. Finish with Laura Mercier creme Smooth Lip Colour in Hollywood at the centre to create a pop of colour.
Here's the head-to-toe:
Oh noes, that dress was just begging for the Fug Girls to file this under 'Into the Fug'. It's Dolce, but c'mon. I would've refused to wear it.
Ah, well. At least from the neck up, she looks great!
Shop the Story
Have Your Say
Is Emily Blunt's Ombré lipstick a do or a don't? Have you tried any of the products she's wearing? Would you EVER copy this?