Exfoliation is not just for your face. Your body needs it, too—especially if you're dealing with dryness, rough patches or even scales. (Here in Canada, that's a thing.)
Unless you remove the build-up of dead skin, any body moisturizer that you put on top won't be able to do its job properly.
That's where a good body scrub comes in. Not only does it ensure that your limbs are smooth and scale-free, you can also use it pre- and post-hair removal to prevent razor burn and ingrowns. It even helps with those annoying bumps on the back of your arms (also known as keratosis pilaris or KP).
Keep scrolling to discover the best body scrubs I've found for soft skin.
The Best Body Scrubs of 2021
Herbivore Coco Rose Coconut Oil Body Polish
- Details: Herbivore Coco Rose Coconut Oil Body Polish is an all-natural scrub with a pretty pink tint and a subtle rose scent. You know how some scrubs have a puddle of oil at the top? That doesn't happen with this one, nor does it coat your skin in any oily residue. You can also use it as a lip scrub!
- Key ingredients: Sugar, coconut oil, shea butter, rose oil.
- Best for: Rose lovers and clean beauty fans.
Goop G.Tox 5 Salt Detox Body Scrub
- Details: Goop G.Tox 5 Salt Detox Body Scrub exfoliates with five different types of salts in a moisturizing oil base, spiked with an earthy blend of essential oils. This one has quite a dense, gritty texture, and isn't very oily, so it gives your skin just a light layer of moisture.
- Key ingredients: Salt (Himalayan pink, Dead Sea, Celtic sea, New Zealand solar and Epsom), moringa oil, olive oil, rosemary oil, grapefruit oil, peppermint oil.
- Best for: Intensive, non-greasy exfoliation.
Indie Lee Coconut Citrus Scrub
- Details: Indie Lee Coconut Citrus Scrub has a higher concentration of oil, so it could definitely double as a body moisturizer. Plus, its sugar granules dissolve quickly, so it's also incredibly gentle on your skin. The all-natural ingredients list couldn't be more simple, and you'll love the lemony-fresh scent.
- Key ingredients: Sugar, coconut oil, jojoba oil, lemon balm, lemongrass, vanilla.
- Best for: Exfoliation and body oil in one step.
REN Atlantic Kelp and Magnesium Salt Anti-Fatigue Exfoliating Body Scrub
- Details: REN Atlantic Kelp and Magnesium Salt Anti-Fatigue Exfoliating Body Scrub has the texture of a balm, but once you massage it over your skin, it gently polishes with two types of salt. The minerals help to relieve tired muscles, while the emollients leave skin soft but not greasy. For best results, apply it on dry skin and then have a bath—it will turn into a relaxing soak.
- Key ingredients: Epsom salt, sea salt, algae oil, magnesium, rosemary oil, geranium oil.
- Best for: Having a soak after your scrub.
Herbivore Coconut Milk Body Polish
- Details: Herbivore Coconut Milk Body Polish is the latest addition to the brand's lineup of all-natural scrubs, and it's all about coconut. In fact, it uses both the oil and the fruit to soften and moisturize your skin, as sugar granules do the exfoliating. Bonus: the scent transforms your shower into a tropical getaway!
- Key ingredients: Sugar, coconut oil, coconut water, coconut powder, shea butter, squalane, vanilla.
- Best for: Coconut addicts.
Nécessaire The Body Exfoliator
- Details: Nécessaire The Body Exfoliator takes a two-way approach to smoothing your skin, using both physical and chemical exfoliants. The tiny pumice beads give it a slightly gritty feel, and the hydroxy-acids dissolve dead cells. Still, it's definitely on the gentler side, and foams up as you work it over your skin. Choose from two scents, Eucalyptus and Sandalwood, or Fragrance-Free.
- Key ingredients: Pumice, marula oil, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, lactic acid.
- Best for: Gentle exfoliation.
Goldfaden MD Doctor’s Body Scrub Body Dermabrasion
- Details: Goldfaden MD Doctor's Body Scrub Body Dermabrasion is like a microdermabrasion treatment for your body, and was inspired by the brand's bestselling scrub for the face. As part of the first dermatologist-developed natural skincare line, it uses clean yet professional-strength ingredients—including both crystals and enzymes—to polish and soften your skin. It also has a rich, creamy texture, thanks to plenty of fatty acids and emollients.
- Key ingredients: Ruby crystals (alumina), bamboo extract, jojoba oil, fruit enzymes.
- Best for: Strong but non-abrasive exfoliation.
Sol de Janeiro Bum Bum Body Scrub
- Details: Sol de Janeiro Bum Bum Body Scrub is a thick, fragrant scrub that exfoliates with super-fine granules of sugar and seeds. Not only does it envelop you in the brand's cult-favourite Cheirosa '62 scent (with notes of caramel and pistachio), it also lightly coats your skin with moisture and a hint of shimmer.
- Key ingredients: Sugar, coconut oil, crushed cupuaçu seeds, mica.
- Best for: Gentle exfoliation and a subtle glow.
Fur Silk Scrub
- Details: Fur Silk Scrub—unlike the rest of the brand's products—isn't just for the bikini line. This polisher can be used all over the body, and features not one but three types of exfoliation: beads, acids and enzymes. For more dramatic results, you can leave it on as a body mask for up to 10 minutes (which would be great for KP). This is also one of the few body exfoliants that is fragrance-free.
- Key ingredients: Glycolic acid, lactic acid, castor oil beads, jojoba beads, fruit enzymes.
- Best for: Pre- and post-hair removal, and treating keratosis pilaris.
Kopari Coconut Crush Scrub
- Details: Kopari Coconut Crush Scrub may not look the prettiest (which is why they didn't put it in a clear jar). But this brown sugar and crushed coconut shell blend has the most satisfying texture—creamy, gritty and not at all oily. Since the grains are very fine, this is one of the mildest scrub options. And it's so moisturizing, you can probably skip body lotion.
- Key ingredients: Brown sugar, coconut oil, beeswax, crushed coconut shells.
- Best for: Gentle exfoliation and non-greasy hydration.
UpCircle Body Scrub
- Details: UpCircle Body Scrub applies the upcycling movement to skincare. The company takes coffee grounds from London cafés, and then combines them with salt, sugar and natural oils to create this all-natural scrub. Choose from four essential oil-derived scents: Coffee & Tangerine, Coffee & Peppermint, Coffee & Cacao and Coffee & Lemongrass.
- Key ingredients: Coffee grounds, salt, sugar, shea butter, coconut oil, essential oils.
- Best for: Sustainable beauty aficionados.
Sunday Riley Charcoal Smoothie Jelly Body Scrub
- Details: Sunday Riley Charcoal Smoothie Jelly Body Scrub is a dual-action exfoliator with a unique jelly texture and fun holographic pouch packaging. It uses both beads and acid to target dead skin, plus charcoal to draw out dirt, and oils to moisturize. It is especially effective on bumpy areas, and won't make your skin feel greasy.
- Key ingredients: Biodegradable wax beads, jojoba oil, salicylic acid, activated charcoal.
- Best for: Rough, bumpy skin (including keratosis pilaris).
Herbivore Amethyst Exfoliating Body Polish
- Details: Herbivore Amethyst Exfoliating Body Polish contains actual amethyst gemstones—which are said to release calming energy—crushed into a fine powder. Along with sugar and salt, they buff away dead skin while the emollients lock in hydration, and the scent of jasmine fills your bathroom. If you want to feel like a princess, this is the scrub for you!
- Key ingredients: Sugar, Epsom salt, coconut oil, shea butter, crushed amethyst, jasmine.
- Best for: A luxury splurge.
SheaMoisture Daily Hydration Crème Sugar Scrub
- Details: SheaMoisture Daily Hydration Crème Sugar Scrub is the most affordable body scrub on my list, but that doesn't mean you're sacrificing on quality or performance. In fact, it has one of the shortest, most natural ingredients lists, a velvety texture, and leaves your limbs lightly coated with 100% virgin coconut oil.
- Key ingredients: Sugar, coconut oil, shea butter.
- Best for: Clean beauty fans on a budget.
Shop Editor’s Picks
What's your favourite body scrub?
Have you tried any of these?