Whatever’s going on with your skin at the moment—whether it’s dullness, dryness, sensitivity or a shiny T-zone—there’s bound to be a face mist out there for you.
Contrary to popular opinion, face mists aren’t just water in fancy packaging. They’re more like serums, toners or essences in spray-on form, loaded with skin-friendly ingredients that hydrate, soothe, control oil and more.
From The Skincare Edit Archives
That means face mists aren’t just a great way to refresh your skin throughout a long day at work or after a sweaty gym session. You can also use them to pack in more moisture in between layers of other products, take down redness or set your makeup.
Here are the best face mists I’ve found, why I chose them, and what you need to know about each one.
The Face Mist Edit
Best dewy finish
Best clean beauty
Best thermal water
What to Look for in a Face Mist
Since face mist is a leave-on product that can be applied on bare skin as well as on top of skincare and makeup, it’s important that it doesn’t irritate, clog pores or increase photosensitivity.
I look for face mists that meet the following criteria:
- Low in fragrance: Whether natural or synthetic, fragrance is the number one cause of skin reactions. Keep in mind that citrus oils can make your skin more sun-sensitive, too, so they should not be present in high amounts.
- High in humectants: Ingredients like aloe, glycerin and hyaluronic acid are lightweight and non-greasy, and work to draw moisture into your skin.
- Low in PUFAs: You don’t have to use a mist that contains oils (most don’t!), but if you do, make sure they are stable. Oils high in polyunsaturated fatty acids, a.k.a. PUFAs, will oxidize quickly and generate free radicals.
- Low in silicones: Not only do they cause pilling when layering products, silicones can also trap debris in your pores, leading to clogging and breakouts.
- Low in alcohol: Drying alcohols don’t belong in face mists, especially if you already have dry or sensitive skin.
- Low in witch hazel: Not everyone reacts to it, but witch hazel can cause irritation if you are sensitive.
- Has a preservative: All water-based products must have a preservative to prevent bacterial growth.
The Best Face Mists of 2022
Agent Nateur Holi (Water)
- What it does: Agent Nateur Holi (Water) is a hydrating, calming and pore-minimizing face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Lavender water, hyaluronic acid, dragon fruit extract, cucumber extract, rose, pearl powder, honey, glycerin.
- Editor’s notes: This is a multi-benefit mist with the thicker feel of an essence or lightweight serum. That’s because it’s loaded with high-molecular weight hyaluronic acid, plant extracts, and naturally-occurring minerals and acids. Not only do they give your skin a dewy glow, they also work to gently resurface, firm, take down redness and tighten pores. You can either spritz this on alone, or mix it with the brand’s Holi (C) vitamin C powder for more dramatic results.
Allies of Skin Molecular Saviour Probiotics Treatment Mist
- What it does: Allies of Skin Molecular Saviour Probiotics Treatment Mist is a hydrating, calming, brightening and pore-minimizing face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: 5% niacinamide, probiotics, gluconolactone, yogurt, zinc PCA, cucumber extract, aloe, silk amino acids, colloidal silver, glycerin, peptides.
- Editor’s notes: This multitasking mist could replace your need for a separate niacinamide serum and moisturizer. With a 5% concentration of niacinamide, it offers all the ingredient’s benefits (from refining pores to lightening discolourations). Plus, since it has a higher molecular weight than most sprays, it creates a dewy veil of hydration that clings to skin instead of evaporating. But that’s not all—it also has barrier-strengthening probiotics, protective antioxidants and antibacterial colloidal silver.
OSEA Sea Minerals Mist
- What it does: OSEA Sea Minerals Mist is a refreshing and hydrating face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Dead Sea salt, seaweeds, copper ferment, maganese ferment, zinc ferment, aloe, glycerin.
- Editor’s notes: You won’t find a formula like this anywhere else—it includes three types of seaweed to bind moisture, plus a trio of minerals to help reduce inflammation and protect skin from the elements. Since it emits a strong spray (rather than a fine mist), use it after cleansing or sun exposure, or mix it with your favourite moisturizer for extra hydration and glow.
Éminence Stone Crop Hydrating Mist
- What it does: Éminence Stone Crop Hydrating Mist is a hydrating and calming face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Stone crop juice, aloe, lemon extract, bearberry extract, jasmine extract, lavender extract, algae.
- Editor’s notes: A favourite of facialists, this lightweight natural spray contains healing, hydrating stone crop juice, a succulent plant that has been used in first aid remedies for centuries. It’s nourishing but non-greasy, and like all the brand’s products, it smells good enough to eat.
Tower 28 SOS (Save.Our.Skin) Daily Rescue Facial Spray
- What it does: Tower 28 SOS (Save.Our.Skin) Daily Rescue Facial Spray is a calming, purifying and repairing face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Salt, hypochlorous acid.
- Editor’s notes: This 100% natural mist caters to angry, “stressed-out” skin of all types. Whether you’re oily, dry or sensitive, its hero ingredient, hypocholorous acid, works to boost your skin’s immunity in order to stimulate healing and reduce redness. So you can use it whenever your skin feels irritated, inflamed, broken out or sun damaged.
Dermalogica Clear Start Micro-Pore Mist
- What it does: Dermalogica Clear Start Micro-Pore Mist is a pore-minimizing, brightening and oil-controlling face mist for normal to oily skin.
- Key ingredients: Niacinamide, witch hazel extract, glycerin, probiotics, provitamin B5 (panthenol), green tea extract, hyaluronic acid.
- Editor’s notes: Although it’s from the brand’s range for teenage skin, this weightless, niacinamide-based spray can be used by anyone who wants to benefit from its pore-perfecting, oil-reducing and pigmentation-fading properties. Since it doesn’t contain any acids, it is gentle enough to use in conjunction with prescription treatments and throughout the day, as needed.
Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Coconut Water Hydrating Face Mist
- What it does: Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Coconut Water Hydrating Face Mist is a refreshing and hydrating face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Aloe, rose water, glycerin, hyaluronic acid, coconut powder, hibiscus extract.
- Editor’s notes: This 100% natural spray was recently reformulated to include moisture-binding hyaluronic acid alongside other humectants like aloe and rose water. It delivers a super-fine mist that won’t disturb your makeup, and leaves your skin feeling soft and fresh, not sticky.
Youth To The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist
- What it does: Youth To The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist is a hydrating and calming face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Aloe, peptides, lethicin, shea butter, reishi mushroom, ashwagandha, rhodiola.
- Editor’s notes: Unlike most mists, which only contain humectants, this one has emollients like shea butter and lethicin to help lock them in. That means it works more like a serum to provide longer-lasting hydration, with no greasy feel. It’s also fragrance-free, with peptides to soothe skin and a trio of adaptogens for environmental protection.
Caudalie Grape Water
- What it does: Caudalie Grape Water is a calming, hydrating and refreshing face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Grape water, grape juice.
- Editor’s notes: This cult classic mist goes on like a fine thermal water spray, but is actually derived from organic grapes, which are high in naturally-occurring potassium, magnesium, copper and polysaccharides. They work to calm, hydrate and strengthen your skin barrier, with zero stickiness. That makes it especially beneficial for sensitive, reactive skin.
Odacité Mint + Green Tea Hydra-Purifying Treatment Mist
- What it does: Odacité Mint + Green Tea Hydra-Purifying Treatment Mist is a purifying and hydrating face mist for normal to oily and acne-prone skin.
- Key ingredients: Aloe, peppermint extract, glycerin, peppermint oil, willow bark extract, green tea extract.
- Editor’s notes: If you need help keeping oily skin and breakouts at bay, this all-natural mist is for you. It’s perfect for combatting mid-day shine, since the willow bark and mint work to reduce and regulate sebum. They’re infused into a base of aloe vera for soothing oil-free hydration, and spiked with green tea for an extra dose of antioxidants.
Peach & Lily Glass Skin Veil Mist
- What it does: Peach & Lily Glass Skin Veil Mist is a refreshing, hydrating and calming face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Cucumber water, glycerin, peach extract, Centella Asiatica extract, lotus extract, ceramides, hyaluronic acid.
- Editor’s notes: This mist is the fastest way to get the “glass skin” look of radiant, luminous skin, over or under makeup. It’s not shimmery or glittery—it deposits a lightweight veil of dewy moisture plus barrier-supporting ceramides. It also contains a plant-based silicone alternative that blurs your imperfections.
Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence
- What it does: Tata Harper Hydrating Floral Essence is a hydrating face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Barley juice, neroli water, lavender water, rose water, propanediol, hyaluronic acid, glycerin.
- Editor’s notes: If you’re someone that appreciates the highest-quality natural ingredients, you’ll love this moisture-boosting mist. It contains multiple floral waters (hydrosols) and antioxidant-rich plant extracts, plus hyaluronic acid to plump skin from within. Plus, the green glass packaging makes for a beautiful addition to your countertop.
Pyunkang Yul Mist Toner
- What it does: Pyunkang Yul Mist Toner is a hydrating and calming face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Coptis extract, glycerin, hyaluronic acid.
- Editor’s notes: This K-beauty mist is comprised of 91.9% Coptis Japonica extract, a calming herb that is prized for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antimicrobial benefits. As such, it is ideal for taking down redness in sensitive and acne-prone skin while lightly hydrating with humectants. Everything from this brand is fragrance-free and made from the gentlest natural ingredients.
Pai Century Flower Lotus & Orange Blossom Soothing Tonic
- What it does: Pai Century Flower Lotus & Orange Blossom Soothing Tonic is a calming and hydrating mist for dry and sensitive skin.
- Key ingredients: Orange flower water, lotus water, probiotics, glycerin.
- Editor’s notes: What makes this mist unique is its “living water”—a nutrient-dense liquid extracted from the lotus plant that retains its trace elements, minerals and salts. With regular use, they work to soothe and protect dry, irritated and redness-prone skin. The mix also contains water extracted from orange blossoms, which is said to stimulate circulation and boost your glow.
Avène Eau Thermale Thermal Spring Water
- What it does: Avène Eau Thermale Thermal Spring Water is a calming and refreshing face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Thermal spring water.
- Editor’s notes: This French pharmacy favourite is made from 100% pure thermal water, derived from a natural thermal spring in France. So unlike regular water, it is rich in minerals like silica, calcium and magnesium, which have a softening, soothing and anti-inflammatory effect. All skin can benefit from this spray, especially sensitive skin.
Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist
- What it does: Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Mist is a refreshing, hydrating and purifying face mist for all skin types.
- Key ingredients: Hungarian thermal water, glycerin, apple extract, mannitol, rose water, orange flower water, sage leaf water.
- Editor’s notes: This aromatherapeutic facial spray was inspired by the world’s first perfume, formulated for the Queen of Hungary in the 14th century. Not only does it smell divine (thanks to its natural ingredients), it also hydrates with floral hydrosols and mineral-rich Hungarian thermal water. Because it dispenses such a fine mist, it won’t mess up your makeup.
If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission. See our Disclosure for more information.