If you're into natural skincare, then you've probably noticed that many face masks contain ingredients you'd rather avoid. Think: synthetic fragrances, silicones, petroleum derivatives and even dyes and glitter. (WTF, right?)
I don't know about you, but when I'm treating myself to a mask, I'm not so keen on substances that could congest or irritate my skin.
But you don't have to whip up a DIY concoction in your kitchen to get the benefits of a natural face mask. Brands like Herbivore, Indie Lee and Tata Harper have already done the hard work for us, with an array of ready-to-use treatments made with clean ingredients.
Whether you're looking for a brightening boost, a quick acne-fighting fix, or need intensive moisture, there's a natural face mask for you.
Read on for the best products on the market—including my all-time favourite masks that I've been using for years now!
The Best Natural Face Masks of 2021
Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask
- Details: Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask is a 100% natural brightening and exfoliating mask for all skin types. This one's a cult-favourite for a reason—it softens, helps to clear pores, and gives you an instant glow. It has a non-abrasive jelly texture, and a fresh herbal scent.
- Key ingredients: Willow bark, pomegranate enzymes, kaolin clay.
- Best for: Dullness, clogged pores and rough texture.
Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Clarity Mask
- Details: Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Clarity Mask is a clarifying and exfoliating mask for oily and acne-prone skin. It gets its name and deep blue colour from the blue tansy oil, which is naturally high in anti-inflammatory azulene. The natural BHAs and fruit enzymes work in tandem to exfoliate and unclog pores. This mask has a gel texture and feels cooling on the skin.
- Key ingredients: Aloe, willow bark, blue tansy oil, papaya enzymes, pineapple enzymes.
- Best for: Breakouts, clogged pores, redness and dullness.
Indie Lee Clearing Mask
- Details: Indie Lee Clearing Mask is a clarifying mask for acne-prone skin. But unlike most clay-based masks, it hydrates and calms as it deep-cleans your pores. It also has a creamy consistency, and doesn't dry out. I love to use this one during PMS times, or whenever I feel a pimple coming on.
- Key ingredients: Bentonite clay, zinc, colloidal sulfur, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, hyaluronic acid, chamomile.
- Best for: Breakouts, dryness and redness.
Odacité Synergie Immediate Skin Perfecting Beauty Masque
- Details: Odacité Synergie Immediate Skin Perfecting Beauty Masque is a deep-cleansing, exfoliating, brightening and firming mask that any skin type can use. Since it's loaded with natural actives—including fruit enzymes and vitamin C—it allows you to treat multiple skin concerns with a single product. What's also unique is the texture, which is a dry powder. To activate it, you just need to mix it with water.
- Key ingredients: Kaolin clay, bentonite clay, papaya enzymes, probiotics, vitamin C, activated charcoal, tartaric acid, malic acid.
- Best for: Clogged pores, breakouts, dullness and pigmentation.
Éminence Organic Skin Care Stone Crop Masque
- Details: Éminence Organic Skin Care Stone Crop Masque is a lightweight hydrating mask for all skin types. It's named for the stone crop plant, which was traditionally used by herbalists to heal and brighten the skin. That, along with honey, are the key moisturizing agents, in the brand's signature phytonutrient base. This mask has a jelly texture, and smells incredible.
- Key ingredients: Stone crop extract, honey, calendula, green tea, alpha-lipoic acid, CoQ10.
- Best for: Dryness, dullness and redness.
Goop Beauty GoopGlow Microderm Instant Glow Exfoliator
- Details: Goop Beauty GoopGlow Microderm Instant Glow Exfoliator is a both a scrub and a mask in one, and is suitable for all skin types. It uses physical as well as chemical exfoliants to brighten and smooth, mimicking the results of a professional microdermabrasion treatment. But don't worry, it's not aggressive—it has a lightweight, whipped texture with ultra-fine exfoliating particles.
- Key ingredients: Minerals (quartz, garnet, alumina and silica), glycolic acid, meadowfoam seed oil, squalane, vitamin C.
- Best for: Dullness and rough texture.
Herbivore Prism 20% AHA + 5% BHA Exfoliating Glow Facial
- Details: Herbivore Prism 20% AHA + 5% BHA Exfoliating Glow Facial is an exfoliating and brightening mask for all skin types (although sensitive skin should patch-test it first). Since it's powered by a high concentration of naturally-derived acids, a slight tingle upon application is normal. It has a gel texture and a light rose scent.
- Key ingredients: Aloe, bilberry, rosewater, willow bark, sugarcane, hyaluronic acid.
- Best for: Dullness, dark spots, rough texture and enlarged pores.
Odacité Deep Hydration Masque
- Details: Odacité Deep Hydration Masque is an intensive moisturizing mask for normal to dry and sensitive skin. It has a buttery but lightweight texture that sinks in without leaving you greasy—which is why many people also use it as a face cream. As part of the brand's Fresh Collection, it's made in small batches and stored in a fridge to preserve the potency of the ingredients until you take it home. If you live in a cold climate, this mask is a must-have for wintertime.
- Key ingredients: Aloe, olive oil, jojoba oil, lavender, green tea, hyaluronic acid.
- Best for: Dryness, redness and fine lines.
Joanna Vargas Exfoliating Mask
- Details: Joanna Vargas Exfoliating Mask is a two-in-one scrub and mask for all skin types. It works its brightening, resurfacing magic with both physical and chemical exfoliants, while also drawing out impurities. The texture is super creamy, and not too gritty or abrasive.
- Key ingredients: Kaolin clay, volcanic rock, sugarcane, bilberry, pineapple enzymes, hyaluronic acid.
- Best for: Dullness and rough texture.
MV Skintherapy Signature Mineral Mask
- Details: MV Skintherapy Signature Mineral Mask is a calming clay mask for all skin types, especially sensitive skin. If you're used to clay masks feeling tight and drying out your skin, you need to try this one because it's both gentle and nourishing. The texture is a dry powder, which becomes creamy when you mix it with water. And FYI, there's just one ingredient in here—the purest, most refined white clay in the world.
- Key ingredients: Kaolin clay.
- Best for: Redness, irritation and rough texture.
Tracie Martyn Enzyme Exfoliant
- Details: Tracie Martyn Enzyme Exfoliant is a triple-action exfoliating mask for all skin types. The secret weapon in Tracie's sought-after facials (and the next best thing at home), it both dissolves dead skin cells and buffs them away. Meanwhile, it also infuses your skin with hydrating, brightening and spot-fading ingredients. It has a creamy yet gritty texture and a spa-like scent.
- Key ingredients: Pineapple enzymes, diatomaceous earth, kaolin clay, kojic acid, squalane, willow bark.
- Best for: Dullness, rough texture, enlarged pores and fine lines.
NUORI Supreme Moisture Mask
- Details: NUORI Supreme Moisture Mask is a hydrating and soothing mask for dry and dehydrated skin. Although the texture is lightweight and fast-absorbing, it's comprised of a hard-working blend of humectants and occlusives to restore needed moisture. You can even leave it on overnight. As with all the products from this brand, it is made in small batches, every 10 to 12 weeks, to ensure that you're getting the ingredients at peak freshness.
- Key ingredients: Grape water, rosewater, squalane, shea butter, avocado oil, niacinamide, hyaluronic acid.
- Best for: Dryness, dehydration, redness and irritation.
Golde Clean Greens Anti-Pollution Superfood Face Mask
- Details: Golde Clean Greens Anti-Pollution Superfood Face Mask is a brightening and soothing mask for all skin types. Dubbed a "green smoothie for your skin," it contains only edible superfoods, which not only hydrate but also fight bacteria, inflammation and free radicals. It comes as a dry powder, which transforms into a gel when you add water.
- Key ingredients: Powdered mango juice, marshmallow root extract, spirulina, chlorella.
- Best for: Dullness, redness, irritation and breakouts.
Shop Editor’s Picks
Do you have a favourite natural face mask?
Have you tried any of these?